follow an ordinary Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe which is really simple...
FOR THE CUPCAKE BATTER
225g Caster Sugar
225g Self Raising Flour (sieved)
Zest of 3 Lemons
FOR THE LEMON DRIZZLE
Juice of 3 Lemons (-1 tbsp)
90g Caster Sugar
FOR THE LEMON BUTTERCREAM
200g Icing Sugar
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
FOR THE CUPCAKES....
1) Preheat your oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4
2) Cream the butter and sugar together in a food mixer until the mixture is light and creamy
3) Add in the eggs one by one and continue to mix
4) Add in the sieved flour - spoon by spoon until the mixture is light and fluffy
5) Grate the zest of the lemons and add it to the mixer
6) Line a muffin/cupcake tray with bun cases and put 2 spoonfuls of the mixture into each case
7) Cook for approx. 20 mins
8) When cooked, leave the buns to cool in the tray
FOR THE LEMON DRIZZLE....
1) Put the lemon juice into a small pot over a low heat
2) Gradually add the sugar and stir
3) When all of the sugar is dissolved remove the pot from the heat
4) Using a skewer, poke holes all over the top of each of the cupcakes (they should still be in the tray)
5) Using a spoon pour the lemon drizzle over each of the cupcakes allowing it to drizzle into each of the holes
6) Leave the cupcakes to sit while you make the icing
FOR THE LEMON ICING...
1) Cream the butter and sugar together in a food mixer
2) When the mixture is light and fluffy, add the lemon juice
3) When the cupcakes have cooled fully begin to ice them (I use two spoons for this - it works pretty well)